See also the General FAQ. Many Linux-solutions apply to OS X too.
How do I install X11?[edit | edit source]
X11 is an application, part of OS X provided by Apple, but not installed by default.
If you have 10.4 "Tiger":
- Find your Tiger install disc and insert it
- Open the "Optional installs.mpkg" from the CD
- Select Applications > X11 in the installer
If you have 10.3 "Panther":
- Download the X11User.pkg installer from Apple
- Open the file and install
How do I troubleshoot freeciv crashes?[edit | edit source]
Freeciv writes some information to the system log if crashes. To see this, open /Applications/Utilities/Console.app immediately after a crash. Freeciv-related stuff should appear in the bottom.
Freeciv crashes because it doesn't find libXinerama something?[edit | edit source]
This bug could appear in 10.3 or incomplete X11 installations. To fix it requires either reinstallation of X11 (see above), or some knowledge of OS X internals.
I found this fix: (copied from )
- Download the Xbin.tgz distro from http://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.5.0/binaries/Darwin-ppc-5.x/
- Unpack it and locate libXinerama.1.0.dylib in the lib directory
- Put libXinerama.1.0.dylib in /usr/X11R6/lib
- Symlink libXinerama.1.0.dylib to libXinerama.dylib and to libXinerama.1.dylib in that directory
How do I install new tilesets?[edit | edit source]
First, the Linux way works fine on OS X (put tilesets in ~/.freeciv).
There is also an OSX-specific solution (taken from ):
- Download your favorite tileset and unpack it.
- Right (or ctrl) click on the client executable and select Show Package Contents from the context menu.
- Go to this directory: Contents/Resources/freeciv-x.y.z/share/freeciv
- Put the *.tileset file and corresponding folder into this directory.
- Start the client and the new tileset should show up in the Local Options dialoge
How do I right click on the map?[edit | edit source]
To recenter the view, you can right-click either on the overview or the large map (the playfield). To right click, hold the command key (apple symbol key) while clicking.