Current significant features relative to freeciv-3.0: FEATURES-3.1.txt
- S3_0 branched 02-Jan-17. 3.1 development started at that point.
- Next milestone: Development snapshots
S3_0 branching happened two years after S2_6 branching. If the time difference between S3_0 and S3_1 is the same, S3_1 branching would happen 02-Jan-19. (Current estimate is that time difference between versions is three years)
- S2_6 datafile formats frozen 12-Mar-16 -> S3_0 d3f estimated 12-Mar-18 -> two years later would be 12-Mar-20
- S2_6 network protocol frozen 15-Aug-16 -> S3_0 npf estimated 15-Aug-18 -> two years later would be 15-Aug-20
- 2.6.0-beta1 released 16-Sep-17 -> 3.0.0-beta1 estimated 16-Sep-19 -> two years later would be summer 16-Sep-21
Changes to Development
New strings to use gettext context instead of our own string qualification method
- To be clarified.
Next milestone is to provide development snapshot builds.
Branching of S3_1: Task #656468
Features in Development
Help System Updates for 3.1
Documentation updates for 3.1 (Feature #735242)
Transition from xxx_Possible effects to Action Enablers
- First patches written. Nothing pushed yet.
- Start transition from our own qualified strings format to use of gettext contexts.
- gtk3x-client baseline exist, and compiles against gtk+ 3.90. It does not work at all.
- For many lower level functions we should pass map as a parameter instead of using one global map for everything. Then we could have several map instances for different uses. Also cities and units are part of World Object. Tex AI module needs this.
Tex AI module
- Being updated as progress with World Object allows.
Unit transportation rule changes
- Ruleset support for preventing use of multiple transports during a turn to get far too fast movement.
Subsurface vision layer
- In testing
Ruledit: effects editing
- First patches gone in
- It would require some work to make it really usable for people not speaking English (while the tool itself is translated, as well as the rulesets while they are used in the game, ruleset internals are in English - and ruledit needs to handle the internal strings)
Runtime network protocol selection
Ruleset item obsolescense
- In planning stage.
Gui for generalized extras
- There would be use-cases for both achievements not announced even to the player gaining them, and achievements announced to multiple players (alliance/world).